Fish maw is one of the precious traditional Chinese cooking ingredients. It is also known as one of the 8 treasures of the sea which share the same status as abalone, sea cucumber & shark’s fin. It is highly popular among the ladies in Chinese society as it contains collagen which has a significant beauty effect on skin care.
In Chinese cultures, fish maw is considered as a food delicacy & served during special occasions like Lunar Chinese New Year. It is usually served braised, stewed or in soup. Many Chinese people, especially ladies, believe that consuming fish maw can improve their skin & anti-aging.
Fish Maw is the dried form of fresh and high quality air bladders of fish, which are rich in gelatin. Sea Fresh’s Fish Maw is taken from large fishes such as Grouper Fish, Golden Snapper Fish and Red Fish.
Fish Maw Fungus Soup Recipe
- 750g chicken (carcass, breast & tight)
- 1.5L (6 cups) water
- 10 pcs (30g) red dates
- 3pcs (30g) scallops
- 1pcs (35g) dried cuttlefish
- 1pcs(600g) Napa cabbage
- 30 g fish maw (soaked)
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
Step by Step:
- Clean the cabbage, rinse scallop, cuttlefish & red dates. Slice red dated & cuttlefish.
- Fried the Fish Maw and let it cool down at room temperature. Soak the fish maw until it soften the cut into small pieces
- Pour the hot water over the chicken, leave it for 5 minutes then rinse the chicken.
- Put all the ingredients into the pot. Add water (depend the size of the pot).
- Boil it. If using a normal pot, cover the pot & simmer for 2-4 hours. If using a thermal cooker/ pressure cooker, simmer for 1 hour.
- Seasoning with salt & serve hot.
100g Serving of fish faw
Fish maw is a good source of protein(collagen) & nutrients such as phosphorus & calcium.
Health benefits :
Fish maw is a good collagen provider. It can help to improve our skin tone & maintain radiant skin for both genders, even the skin of the baby, when taken by pregnant women. It also can help to heal the wound.
Fish maw contains rich proteins and nutrients such as phosphor and calcium. It nourishes ‘yin’, replenishes kidney and boosts stamina. It is effective in healing weak lung and kidney, anemia, etc. It is suitable for consumption by any age group of either gender and is a kind of therapeutic food
Fish maw is low in fat & contains no cholesterol, which is suitable for long term consumption as a valuable health enhancing ingredient & will not cause obesity issues.
What’s the difference between fried and non fried fish maw in terms of cooking/preparation?
The non-fried fish maw is hard and dry, whereas the fried one is all puffy and light. We recommend you to buy our fried fish maw because it's more convenient. Before cooking, just pre-soak the fried fish maw in water for around 30minutes to an hour and it's ready to cook. You can stir-fry, steam or cook soup with it.
For the non-fried Fish Maw, you will need to fry them either by deep-frying with oil or by using air fryer or oven. Deep frying will bring out the most flavor but do kindly note that fish maw tends to splatter during deep frying so do be careful when handling it.
- Taken from Large Fish like golden snapper, Grouper etc.
- Deep fried by head chief. Best compliment with soup or frying vegetable.