One of the best way to describe Chinese Pomfret meat after cooking is the softness and naturally sweet taste. The fish flesh won't be easily break when compared to other kinds of fish species.
The best way to cook Chinese pomfret fish is steam, if the pomfret is not fresh enough means it can be fried and topped with sambal or sauces.
Our recommended recipe will be Steamed Chinese Pomfret with Fried Garlic which is the most simplest way of cooking fish.
Check out the recipe here:-
- Chinese Pomfret - 800g~1kg
- Garlic - 15 cloves
- Green Onions - 1 sprig
- Ginger - 10 slices
- Minced Ginger - 2 slices
- Cooking oil - 4 tablespoons
- Shao Xing Wine - 1 tablespoon
- Soy Sauce - 3 tablespoons
- Chicken seasoning powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Water - 2 tablespoons
- Sesame Oil - few drops
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Oil - 1 tablespoon
*How To Cook:-
- Thaw fish in tap water, leave for 30 minutes
- Chop and mince garlic
- Green onions cut into 5cm length, keep some for garnishing
- Ginger slice
- Prepare sauce - Combine soy sauce, chicken seasoning powder, sugar, water & sesame oil
- Preheat cooking oil over medium heat
- Turn to medium low heat. Add in half of the minced garlic, stir constantly to avoid getting burn.
- When garlic turns light brown, remove and strain oil.
- Stir fry minced ginger in remaining garlic oil
- Add in the sauce mixture and cook for 1 min.
- Add in Shao Xing Wine. Remove and set aside
- Chinese Pomfret, scrape off fish scale and cut 2 slits on both sides.
- Season with salt & white pepper. Add ginger slices and green onion into cavity.
- Place ginger and green onion on the plate and on top of fish.
- Steam fish for 5 minutes over high heat
- Remove steam fish water, ginger and green onion.
- Cover fish with remaining garlic, fried garlic and drizzle some garlic oil
- Cover and steam for another 10 minutes.
- Once fish is cooked, pour sauce over and garnish with fried garlic, green onions & coriander.
- Reheat garlic oil (2 tablespoons) then drizzle hot oil on top of fish.
*Special thanks to City Life Meal for the recipe video. Checkout more cooking recipes inspirations from their YouTube channel.